More and more companies and devices are moving toward wireless networking. Wireless networks can increase productivity and can be used as a cost-effective alternative to running cable to new areas of a building as the company grows
Since wireless networks can be picked up without needing physical connections into the network, it is important that they are as secure as possible.
WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT
Many small office and business routers come with built-in wireless capability. When configuring your own wireless network, it is important to take security and performance precautions.
- Change all Default Passwords
- Do NOT use WEP Encryption
- Use WPA2 Encryption where available
- Configure wireless on non-overlapping channels
- 1, 6, and 11 are non-overlapping channels on the 2.5Ghz range
- Use channels that are not “DFS” on the 5.0Ghz range
- Turn off SSID Broadcasting
- Use strong and complex passwords for your SSID
- Use Intrusion Protection Systems(IPS) or Network Antivirus
WHAT PALMER TECHNOLOGY OFFERS
Palmer Technology offers managed security with highly secure business-class routers. The routers have built-in Network Antivirus and Intrusion Prevention Systems. All wireless access points can be managed through the router to consolidate reporting for all inbound and outbound traffic. With reporting we can minimize the time it takes to find and mitigate threats.
Additional features support
- Failover internet to minimize down time.
- Traffic shaping to ensure critical networks have internet
- MAC address filtering to allow only specified devices on the network
- Virtual Local Area Networks(VLAN) to separate and isolate sensitive data traffic on internal networks
- Virtual Private Networks(VPN) for secure remote access