A system, username, website or any IT device without a strong password becomes a security threat.
Without a strong password it is not a question of if the device will be hacked, it is a question of when.
Weak passwords allow hackers to break into systems quickly using special programs to generate random words, numbers or letter combinations.
The shorter and less complex the password the sooner they can get in.
WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT
Here are some tips to improve
- Have an IT policy that states company password requirements
- For more information on important IT policies see Palmer Technology’s blog about them by clicking here
- Train users to never write down passwords
- Require complex passwords that include uppercase, lowercase, symbols and numbers
- Require passwords to be changed every 90 days
- Do not allow the use of the last 5 passwords
- Do not use default usernames and passwords such as admin or administrator
- Require user account passwords to be at least 10 characters long
- Require admin account passwords to be at least 14 characters long
- Do not send passwords over text message or unsecure email
WHAT PALMER TECHNOLOGY OFFERS
Palmer technology offers basic
recommendations for password policies and other parts of your IT network which
can be found at http://www.palmerts.com/cpa.pdf
Palmer Technology can also configure Group Policies to enforce your password policy and offer other managed services to mitigate other security risks